Alexandra Bigot is a partner in the Paris office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the firm’s Restructuring & Special Situations Practice.
Ms. Bigot is recognized for her comprehensive approach to the strategic challenges faced by her clients in the event of financial difficulties, enabling her to ensure the protection of their interests in delicate contexts such as multi-jurisdictional restructurings. Ms. Bigot regularly advises debtors, sponsors and hedge funds, with a particular focus on distressed leveraged buyouts (LBO) (including loan-to-own strategies). She also advises strategic buyers, hedge funds, and recovery funds seeking investment opportunities in insolvency proceedings and out-of-court restructuring cases.
Ms. Bigot also gained specific experience as an investment director in a private equity fund.
Ms. Bigot is a member of the highly recognized International Insolvency Institute, comprising experienced and respected practitioners, academics, judges, and financial industry professionals around the world.
Ms. Bigot is a member of the Association de retournement des Entreprises (ARE).
“Technically one of the best in the Parisian market,” reports one impressed client, while another praises her commercial awareness and notes that she has “financial and operational sensitivity.” Chambers France 2020
Since 2012, Ms. Bigot has been ranked by Chambers Europe in Band 1 among leading individuals practicing in Restructuring & Insolvency in France.
Named by IFLR1000 in its Women Leaders list, an elite ranking of the 300 leading female transactional attorneys in local markets globally.
Named Structured Finance Lawyer of the Year. Best Lawyers 2014/2015/2017
Named Lawyer of the Year (Avocat de l’Année) for the Restructuring Practice in France. Option Droit & Affaires 2018
Ms. Bigot’s experience includes representing:
- Marathon Asset Management in the refinancing and anticipated reimbursement of Foraco International SA's existing debt
- The cross-holders coordinating committee in the financial restructuring of the Europcar group
- Butler Industries in its bid for the acquisition of Courtepaille’s assets and activities under insolvency proceedings
- Impala in the successful takeover of the cosmetics group Alès Groupe under insolvency proceedings
- Grain de Malice (Oosterdam group) in its bid offer for part of the assets and businesses of Camaïeu in the context of insolvency proceedings*
- Bpifrance Participations in strengthening Mecachrome’s capital base and in setting-up of a French state-guaranteed loan scheme*
- BUT in relation to the financial difficulties of Paris Bedding (Dunlopillo) and restructuring of the Adova group*
- A group of majority bondholders, including Anchorage Capital and Hayfin Capital, on the third restructuring of the Vivarte group, resulting in the implementation of a Fiducie (French trust) in the complete cancellation of its debt and its takeover by the bondholders and ending the financial restructuring of Vivarte for more than €3 billion since 2014*
- SNEF in its projected takeover of Bourbon Maritime alongside the lenders*
- Cromology (formerly Materis Paint) and its sponsor, Wendel, a Paris-listed private equity firm, on Cromology’s financial restructuring*
- Famar in its second out-of-court financial restructuring*
- Schmolz + Bickenbach in its successful bid for the acquisition of the assets and businesses of Asco Industries (Ascometal group) under insolvency proceedings and the subsequent negotiations regarding Ascoval*
- Hachette Livre in various negotiations with book seller chains, editors, and logistics service providers facing difficulties,* including the:
- Distressed situation and bankruptcy of Presstalis (media distribution)
- Bankruptcy of Gibert Jeune (book seller chain)
- Bankruptcy of Sauramps (book seller chain)
- Bankruptcy of Mory (messenger)
- Distressed situation of the real estate promoter of its new head office
- Bankruptcy of Virgin Stores (cultural products outlet chain)
- Bankruptcy of Gérard de Villiers (book editor)
- Bankruptcy of Les Humanoïdes (book editor)
- Bale of BSSL (educational products) sale of Flocnos (book editor)
- Bankruptcy of Anne Carrière (book editor)
- CMA CGM in its bid for the acquisition of Necotrans’ assets and businesses under insolvency proceedings*
- Leaseplan in the out-of-court restructuring of Voitures Noires*
- Anchorage, Hayfin, and new money lenders in the second out-of-court restructuring of Vivarte (additional €800 million debt-to-equity swap)*
- Macquarie in its bid for the acquisition of assets and businesses from Unitec*
- Dolby Laboratories in the bankruptcy proceedings of X-Gem*
- Ardian and the mezzanine Co-com in the out-of-court restructuring of Camaïeu (debt-to-equity swap)*
- Transdev as shareholder of SNCM (ferry operation between Corsica and France) in the context of its operational restructuring and bankruptcy proceedings*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham