Eric Volkman co-leads Latham’s Export Controls, Economic Sanctions & Customs Practice. He advises clients in internal corporate investigations and white collar criminal matters, with a focus on trade and economic sanctions and anti-money laundering.
Mr. Volkman represents clients facing government investigations into alleged violations of:
- Export controls and trade sanctions
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- The Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering (AML) laws
- Other regulatory regimes in the government contracting, energy, and financial services sectors
He provides clients effective and pragmatic advocacy drawn from nearly two decades of experience advocating before the US Department of Justice (DOJ), the US Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), the US Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), the US State Department, and various congressional committees
Complementing his government-facing investigations practice, Mr. Volkman regularly counsels financial institutions, institutional investors, and fintech companies on these issues in the context of cross-border M&A and capital markets transactions.
Given his advocacy work, he excels at advising US and global clients on the design and implementation of sanctions, anti-corruption, and AML compliance programs.
Mr. Volkman regularly writes and speaks on sanctions and AML topics.
Prior to joining Latham, he clerked for Judge David F. Hamilton in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana.
A selection of Mr. Volkman’s experience includes representing:
- China COSCO Shipping Corporation Limited (COSCO), a Shanghai-based transportation services conglomerate and Chinese state-owned entity, in its efforts to lift sanctions imposed by the US government against one of its oil tanker subsidiaries
- A leading global oilfield services company in sanctions-related investigations by the DOJ and OFAC, and managing post-resolution reviews by regulators and an independent compliance consultant
- A leading social media company on compliance with US sanctions and anti-terrorism laws
- A health and beauty products company in an OFAC sanctions enforcement action
- A multinational bank in dealings with DOJ, OFAC, and foreign regulators regarding compliance with US sanctions, export controls, and AML laws
- A major global bank on anti-money laundering and sanctions issues in connection with the acquisition of a non-US financial institution
- A number of cryptocurrency and DeFi companies on compliance with sanctions and AML laws
- A number of ecommerce platforms with respect to OFAC compliance and enforcement mattersA
- German conglomerate on US money laundering and forfeiture issues in connection with a German criminal proceeding
- An oil and gas company on enhancements to its export controls and sanctions program
- A leading automotive auction company in investigations by BIS and the Census Bureau
- Numerous issuers, borrowers, underwriters, and lenders in transactional due diligence and counseling on compliance with IEEPA, ITAR, the FCPA, and anti-money laundering laws
- A leading aerospace company to conduct an internal investigation and defend the company before the State Department related to potential violations of ITAR
- A big-box retailer on compliance with US sanctions and export controls
- A global telecommunications company on US sanctions compliance with respect to operations related to sanctioned countries
- A global packaging products manufacturer to design and implement a trade sanctions and exports control policy