Meghan Cocci, Global Co-Chair of the Hospitality, Gaming & Leisure Industry Group, represents property owners, investors, and operators on their most complex and highest-value projects and transactions around the world.
A nationally recognized real estate lawyer, Ms. Cocci advises clients on a broad range of transactions and strategic matters with a particular focus on the hospitality industry. She delivers creative and business-focused counsel to a variety of market participants, including hotel and non-hotel real estate investment trusts (REITs), private equity funds, family offices, real estate developers, and hotel brands.
Ms. Cocci’s practice includes:
- Single asset and portfolio property acquisitions and dispositions
- Negotiation of management agreements, franchise agreements, and related matters
- Joint ventures
- Acquisitions and dispositions of hotel management companies
- Strategic advice on mixed-use developments
Ms. Cocci brings more than two decades of experience advising on many of the most significant hospitality transactions in the United States and internationally, including in Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. Drawing on her sophisticated industry knowledge and strong working relationships with key market players, she offers strategic insights into how business and legal issues can play out in the long term.
Ms. Cocci regularly receives recognition as a leading lawyer in the hospitality industry, including by Chambers USA, Law360, and the National Law Journal. She has also been recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal’s 2021 Leaders in Law Awards as a Real Estate Attorney of the Year finalist.
Ms. Cocci frequently speaks on real estate topics at major hotel conferences and other industry events, including the New York University International Hospitality Industry Investment Conference, Georgetown University Law Center Hotel and Lodging Legal Summit, the Berlin International Hotel and Investment Forum, and the International Society of Hospitality Consultants Annual Conference.
Ms. Cocci’s experience includes advising:
- A real estate solutions platform on its merger with a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) to create a combined company valued at US$3 billion
- A premier real estate investment and hospitality management company in its US$2.8 billion acquisition of six hospitality portfolios from a leading global investment firm
- A private equity firm focused on the hospitality and consumer sectors, in connection with its acquisition of a boutique four-star hotel, in Nashville, Tennessee
- A publicly traded REIT on the acquisition of a complex luxury resort and subsequent sale of surrounding land parcels for residential development
- An international sports organization and certain of its affiliates on management, licensing, and related matters in connection with a complex mixed-use real estate development that includes hotel, residential, a world-class surfing facility, along with various recreational facilities
- A hospitality and lodging REIT in the acquisition of a luxury resort located in Sonoma, California
- A global commercial real estate company with respect to its hotel portfolio in the United States, Mexico, and the Caribbean, including all management, franchise, mixed-use, and operational matters*
- A major private equity firm with respect to its hotel acquisitions and dispositions, as well as franchise and management agreement negotiations*
- A multinational hospitality company with respect to its management agreements, strategic, and general operational matters for hotels, resorts, condo hotel, and mixed-use projects*
- A hospitality focused private equity firm in an outside general counsel role as to various development projects, hotel acquisitions, joint ventures, financing, and management agreement negotiations*
- A major global investment fund with respect to hospitality related corporate matters, brand roll-outs, management agreements, dispute resolution, and strategic and general operational matters involving hotels, resorts, and mixed-use projects*
- A real estate investment company with respect to its hotel acquisitions, financing, joint venture, and management agreement negotiations*
- A hotel management company with respect to its corporate matters, joint ventures, management agreements, and strategic and general operational matters involving hotels, resorts, and mixed-use projects*
- A travel and leisure focused investment firm with respect to hospitality related acquisitions and operational matters*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham