Philip Clifford QC is recognized as one of London’s leading international arbitration specialists and was appointed Queen’s Counsel in February 2018. He is a member of The Legal 500 Hall of Fame, having been a leading practitioner for over a decade, and is described as "one of the best in the profession" and "renowned for energy cases.” Chambers also recognizes Mr. Clifford as a key figure in international arbitration, with clients describing him as "a pleasure to work with and extremely adept at resolving cross-border disputes.”
With over 25 years’ experience of resolving some of the largest and most complex international disputes through arbitration and related court litigation in England and elsewhere, Mr. Clifford has served both as Global Co-Chair of our International Arbitration Practice and Chair of our London Litigation & Trial Department. He also regularly sits as an arbitrator, giving him a valuable dual perspective on resolving disputes.
Mr. Clifford has particular expertise in complex, cross-border disputes arising out of the oil and gas, power, and construction industries, as well as shareholder, joint venture, and M&A disputes across a range of sectors and regions.
He is a United Kingdom representative on the ICC Commission on Arbitration, co-author of a leading book on the LCIA Arbitration Rules and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He is also a regular speaker and author on arbitration topics, having lectured at numerous conferences around the world, at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law and at University College London. He was a member of the DIFC working party for its arbitration law and is currently a Consulting Editor for LexisNexis’ on Dispute Resolution and a Member of the International Bar Association Task Force for review of the UNIDROIT principles.
Mr. Clifford's representative experience includes:
Oil, gas, and power
- Natural gas and LNG disputes: from SPA pricing to engineering and construction
- Oil related disputes concerning the construction of pipelines, drilling equipment, refineries, and petrochemical complexes in Africa and Asia
- Power project disputes concerning the engineering, construction, and operation of power projects in the Middle East and Asia
- Nuclear disputes: from the construction and operation of nuclear facilities to the treatment of nuclear material and decommissioning
- Joint venture disputes in Europe, Russia, and China
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Sovereign wealth fund corporate acquisition disputes in Europe and the Middle East
- Financial institution disputes over share sales, redemptions, and financial instruments in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia
- Telecommunications disputes in Europe and Asia
Directors' Duties and Fraud
- Madoff US$65 billion fraud: representing financial institutions and directors in proceedings and investigations in the United States, the Cayman Islands, and across Europe
- Liquidators: acting for and against them in connection with enforcement actions and allegations of fraud
Investment Treaty Disputes
- Arbitrations under bilateral investment treaties relating to the Middle East, South America, and Central Europe
- Pursuing and resisting the enforcement of arbitral awards and foreign judgments in England and elsewhere
ADR and dispute management
- Conducting mediations spanning a range of commercial disputes
- Advising as to risk and dispute avoidance and management